Monday 14 September 2015

DAILY RITUALS #4

CATH:


I woke up this morning thinking ‘I don’t have any rituals’. I am not a superstitious person. I don’t need to have my favourite pen or any material thing for that matter or a time of day that I should set out. But I realise I do have one ritual - I simply try to be kind to myself and wade into my art gently. I think to myself ‘okay all you have to do is re-read, or write down a few ideas’. I also tell myself it really doesn’t matter if the world ever witnesses this work. This however is an absolute lie because I want the world for my work as all creative people do. But this takes the pressure off so I can fully focus and usually by going into it gently I soon become immersed.

What I love about creating it arrives whatever the given circumstances, for instance migraines that meant I couldn’t look at a computer screen but could lie flat with the ideas, images and dialogue coming to me without even willing them on. I believe when you can cultivate the inner resources to be creative there is a constant renewal of energy no matter what sort of metaphorical dark room you are in.

The main thing for me is to follow my intuition on what art form to work in so I can try to thrill myself each day. I paint, make assemblages and sculpt as well as write. Lately tormented clay figures have emerged and I have no idea why but I’m just following them and seeing what it tells me and now I must sign off because I really need to see what happens next...Thank you.



No comments: